Learning Disabilities Program
The Learning Disabilities Program at Boston Children’s Hospital offers a comprehensive evaluation for children who face challenges in cognitive (thinking), academic and social development. Our evaluations give parents, teachers and physicians a well-rounded understanding of a child’s learning profile and provide recommendations to help address the difficulties they encounter.
The evaluation takes about half a day, during which you and your child meet with a team of specialists. Later that day, the specialists meet to share their findings with one another and to develop a comprehensive diagnostic understanding and intervention plan. A few weeks later, a member of that team — the case coordinator — shares the findings with you at a feedback meeting. Detailed written reports are provided as well.
Who do we evaluate?
We evaluate children ages 7 to 15 who have problems with school functioning — academic, cognitive, behavioral or social. The evaluation may also be appropriate for some children with medical or neurological conditions that may be affecting their development and school functioning.
If your child is not fluent in English, has been diagnosed with an intellectual disability, or has significant sensory or motor impairments, he or she is not likely a good fit for our evaluation.
What questions does this evaluation address?
- What are the underlying causes of your child’s problem?
- Is there a medical basis for your child’s problems?
- Are emotional or social factors slowing your child’s learning progress?
- Is the learning problem causing emotional or social problems?
- What specific programs and interventions does your child need to make progress?
Our approach to learning disabilities
Our unique approach brings together experts from a number of different fields to look at your whole child. Many of our educational providers are former teachers who understand the challenges of working with children learning disabilities in the classroom. Your child’s evaluation will include meetings with experts in:
- oral and written language (speech and language, reading and writing)
Make an appointment
- Call us at 01973600101
- International:+880-1973 600101
- Request an appointment online
- Email our program coordinator: email@example.com